A handpicked collection of the Internet's best resources from WordPress to web design.

Notes on the Redesign with the DeTube WordPress Video Theme

So far I haven’t had a chance to talk about the reasons for the redesign here at wpliving.net, so in this video I take a look at what drew me to the new theme I’m using, which is called the deTube WordPress Theme and it’s entirely devoted to video.

This video could be of interest to anyone looking for a decent and flexible WordPress video theme. After having trawled the Web for suitable themes, I was left with really just a handful of themes that I thought were actually usable. DeTube was one of them.

The key things I like about the theme are the following:

• Front page modular layout = lots of flexibility to organize content.
  • Front page carousel = highlights the latest content in a clear and interactive way.
  • Single post view = really brings the video content “alive”, presenting it against a dark background.
  • Simple admin options = the theme is not cluttered. It has just the right amount of options for my needs.
  • Custom widgets = I like the fact that attention has been give to adding extra functionality to the theme via custom widgets; in particular the stats widget, categories, tags and archives.

Watch the video for more insight into the theme and let me know what you think about the redesign. Does it work for you? What could be done to make the theme better? Do you use a WordPress video theme? If so which one and what has your experience been in using it? Thanks as always for watching.

6 Comments
  1. Reply Robert October 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Nice and very clean theme :) I think this theme is very suitable for Vlog style and bloggers who post videos on their blogs

2. Reply Peter October 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

Great, I like the detube theme a lot, thanks for drawing my attention to it. One of the sites I run, stroudcommunity.tv , uses the wootube theme from woo themes, which serves us well but I really wish it would grab thumbnails from vimeo as well as youtube! Carry on the good work, much appreciated, Peter

3. Reply FanaticWeb January 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

Its definately a great theme, I would highlight the cons more then the pros since you already and clearly praised it the right way.

The cons I found were related to the color distribution, for instance, all hyper links are set to one color, there’s no way to modify and set different colors for different sections (Widgets, incontent, etc.) unless you hardcode the changes.

The main navigation menu lacks of flexibility when it comes to separating Video content and regular posts content, ultimately, a Sub menu or a second menu would have made sense, although there are plugins that can enhance this functionality.

The theme is great overall and serves its purpose very well, the Responsive layout is awesome, it deserves a 9/10.

• Reply Will Ellington January 7, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks for making those points. I think you’re spot on. As with all premium themes (with any theme for that matter) there will always be room for improvement. If you have the money to commission a bespoke theme, then you also get to order the changes you want made. With premium themes, it’s usually a case of what you see is what you get – unless the developer is super cool and goes the extra mile to integrate user requests.

4. Reply Frank April 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Well, now it seems you’ve switched the design again, after a very short time – why did you leave the Detube theme? Would be very interesting for me to know, because I’m evaluating it at the moment for the use on a pure screencast site …

Thanks!
    Frank

5. Reply BBGminustries May 11, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hi, does someone knows how to edit the carousel options because the option to play the videos right there and then does not work as it redirects me to its post instead. Thanks visit BGGministries.com for reference