I've been looking forward to the release of the launch of the Flexible WordPress theme * ever since Nick Roach, founder and lead designer at ElegantThemes, announced it on his blog almost a month ago.
I think Nick has entered a new chapter in his design work. He's pairing things down and getting to the essence of each theme.
You know, the more I think about it, the more that old saying – “quality not quantity” – seems relevant to today's premium theme marketplace.
Theme developers use all manner of clever tricks to lure in their customers, but the themes that stand out, at least in my view, are themes that excel in one or more of the following design elements:
- innovate in an aspect of usability
- operate at the highest coding standards from start to finish
- offer extensive and intuitive admin options
- allow the user to easily add his or her own mark on the theme
- engage the reader with exceptional font treatment
- cut away excess and gets the balance of visuals, function and layout just right
My list is by no means exhaustive, but it contains the main things that attract me to WordPress themes. Nick's theme has a bit of everything going on. It's not perfect, but then no theme is. However it is consistent and it is definitely usable.
Take a look at my video for more insight into the design and then please let me know what you think about the theme here below.
Or bypass all of this and go straight to the Flexible WordPress theme * on the ElegantThemes website.